Saturday, April 01, 2006

Film tag

Tim tagged me with a favourite 10 films tag. Damn, Tim. You didn’t know how hard this was. See, I studied film (in fact, have an MA in it) but despite years of them trying to brainwash us with class acts like Stan Brakhage and Maya Deren, my taste in film is relentlessly down-market and lightweight. It makes me feel guilty. So I’m cheating and only doing three.

Carwash
Fairly free-wheeling, plotless day in the life of a carwash. For anyone who’s ever been bored at work. Featuring Richard Pryor as a greedy evangelist preacher, a platinum blonde wig-wearing prostitute hiding out in the toilets to escape the cab-driver she hasn’t paid, the fabulous Pointer Sisters, and Rose Royce on the soundtrack. And some perceptive social commentary – the disaffected youth who joins the Islamic fundamentalists, and Antonio Fargas has the best line as trannie Lindy; “Honey, I’m more man than you’ll ever be, and more woman than you’ll ever get.”

The Big Easy
Funny, sexy thriller set in New Orleans with a great Cajun soundtrack, which is really all about the chemistry between corrupt cop Dennis Quaid and uptight DA Ellen Barkin. Turns the usual noir storyline on its head - it's a rare film in which the woman is the real hero and moral compass. (Plus she’s called Anne, she must be cool.)







The Time Bandits

Best. Film. Ever. Visually breath-taking. Terry Gilliam is so gifted. Unlike most British films, this one is not ham-strung by the conventions of the theatre, it jumps through time and space with gleeful abandon. I love the anarchy of it.


Not tagging anyone, but if you like it, it's yours...

10 comments:

Dan Flynn said...

Fucking hell, I hate meme's, however as I'm returning to blogging after a week orf I shall make an effort.

Here's my top few as I think of them.

1 - Some Like It Hot
2 - Life of Brian
3 - Cabaret
4 - Get Carter
5 - Clerks
6 - Midnight Cowboy
7 - The Usual Suspects
8 - LA Confidential
9 - Duck Soup/Day At The Races/ A Night At The Opera.

Apart from Some Like It Hot, which is number one for me, the rest could be in any order thereafter.

Dan Flynn said...

And another thing. Re my coveting of the Canon 350D mentioned in a previous note... I settled in the end for a Nikon D50 so now I'll be able to post photos on my blog. Hurrah.

Bet you really wanted to know that!

Annie said...

Hey Dan. Where you been - shopping for cameras? You were missed... Impeccable taste Dan. Some Like It Hot, now there's a film - it's my absolute favourite too - but Tim said, no classics, & it definitely counts as a classic.

I am off to google the Nikon D50 and get jealous. Looking forward to seeing your photos...

Annie said...

PS Life of Brian, one of my favourite lines -
Brian (to the crowd): You're all individuals!
Little voice: I'm not!

Dan Flynn said...

Annie,

Classics smashics, rules are meant for breaking. See, I even broke my never, ever, ever, do a meme rule just so I might share with your readers my eclectic top ten. Is Bagdad Cafe a classic? That film does it for me.

Re where I've been for the past week, jus' livin, jus' livin.

ps,

I did like your Easter bonnets tho I bet the kids would have warmed to some death themes. Some smaller children can be oddly attracted to gore, I find.

Tim F said...

Some Like It Hot is one of my favourites too. But it's also on my 'best' list (the critically respectable one) so it didn't qualify. Billy Wilder, see. Auteur. So there.

neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

The Others, *ing Nicole Kidman.

The gods must be crazy, I think it's a St. African film, I'm not sure but it's hilarious.

That one with Salma Hayek about Freda Khalo.

Anonymous said...

Time bandits? Never heard of that one - do you have on DVD? I wrote you message about hats - so good!
s x

Anonymous said...

Time Bandits ROCKS, totally agree with you on that one, but I think Brazil is better, which is why I've put it on my list (yes, I've taken the baton, yet again...).

Annie said...

Dan, tell me about it. We recently did the story of Jesus in RE.
"What was your favourite part?"
(Unanimously) "The part where he died!"

GG, I saw The Others BY MYSELF in the cinema in Spain, aren't I brave? I love Frida Kahlo. Stony-hearted usually in films but did get a bit misty-eyed in that one.

Yes Sar, yes yes yes, it's one of the few I own - we should watch it on your big telly, though it's best seen on the big screen.

I like Brazil too Matt, but I like the innocence of Time Bandits - so cool to have the little boy as a hero. Glad you picked this one up...