Sunday, March 25, 2007

Edie Sedgwick

So I went to see Factory Girl, and I do recommend it, only if you're a Warhol aficionado though, everyone else will be wondering what all the fuss is about I suspect.

See, we had a little Edie Sedgwick history. When we were teens, one of our friends was given a book about her by a music journo/sixties pop culture obsessive (who went on to be in a sixties- influenced Britpop band/DJ duo - and can I just say, at the time she was 15, you were 24 - you dirty old man!)

It was 'Edie: An American Biography' by Jean Stein, and is an absolutely monumental biography, even if you have no interest whatsoever in music, pop art, New York, the sixties, Warhol, Dylan, or even Edie Sedgwick herself.

Because it was assembled and edited through hours of interviews with different people who knew her and is all told through direct speech, and gives you such a clear picture of that time and place, and that particular human being's trajectory. You get to hear so many different voices and slants on the sixties era. It's a multi-faceted portrait, and you wonder why anyone would ever write a biography in any other way. (though you can see where the problems might arise with Shakespeare, say, or Elizabeth I.)

To make a long story short, she was from a rich, privileged high society American family with a monstrous Dostoyevskian father who was sexually abusing his eight children, two of whom committed suicide and one (Edie) who escaped to art school, then New York and eventually, into drugs.

I got interested in Pop Art through reading it (and listening to the Velvet's Banana album) and ended up doing a dissertation on Warhol at school, even dragging my long-suffering friends to see his unwatchable films at the Tate (Chelsea Girls, I seem to recall, not the notorious Empire State, I'm not that cruel.)

The film is a poor shadow of the book, though Sienna Miller is wonderful - she doesn't have Edie Sedgwick's huge eyes or charisma but she makes her vulnerable and real. And the detail is uncanny - Andy Warhol's stripey breton tops, Factory hangers-on like Ondine or Gerard Malanga who are identical to their real-life characters, I even remember certain hats or earrings she wore from stills in the book which they've tracked down.

It is pretty harsh on poor Warhol, whose only sin I think was in being superficial, and pretty easy on Dylan (who wrote Just Like a Woman, Leopardskin Pillbox Hat and - I reckon - Like A Rolling Stone about her - and Lou Reed wrote Femme Fatale about her, we think) who just shagged her and moved on. But then, one of them is no longer in a position to sue.

Poor Edie. She overdosed at 28. But when you look at the pictures and films, her fascination is in the fact that she looks almost child-like, you couldn't have imagined her getting old. Though she was such a vibrant character, that if you read the book or see the film you can still feel the shock waves people must have felt originally when she died.

Years ago in an ill-fated stint as PR bunny at the publishers, I had to take an author to review 'I Shot Andy Warhol', as he'd worked for Warhol as editor at his Interview magazine in the eighties. I was wanting to hear stories of glamour and gossip, but he was most dismissive of everything we'd been so fascinated with as teenagers. 'He was just really cold. It was just a really shallow horrible scene...'

True enough, but still somehow fascinating...

14 comments:

Tim F said...

I'm not that up on PR bunnydom, but why does an author need accompanying to a press screening? (Although if the bunny is Slaminsky-flavoured, it would certainly add to the charm of the occasion.) You go. You get bad wine, maybe. You watch the film, listening to Derek Malcolm sighing in the back row, and maybe Mark Kermode saying how less good than The Exorcist it is. Then you go home and write the review. Who needs PR help with that?

Annie said...

Ah - well he was a Yankee doodle, and would have got lost in Soho looking for the screening rooms. And I believe he was being interviewed afterwards for a magazine so I was there to make the introductions and hold his hand...

I wasn't really cut out for PR bunnydom.

Annie said...

I looked out for him, but did not spot Mark Kermode and his terrifying quiff.

rockmother said...

Yes, why does Mark Commode (yes I wrote it like that on purpose) insist on looking like he comes from 'the jet age'? Even the other Mark, Mark Lamarr finally got bored of it and did something else with his hair. I saw a proper Rockabilly the other day - the kind I haven't seen since I was being chased down the Kings Road c.1978 by one for sneering at him in the manner of a punk - or what I thought was punk. I hid under a table in Habitat. I was only 12. Anyway - the one I saw the other day looked great.

Anonymous said...

this was very informative. Thank you for the history lesson. I just hate sienna miller so much i don't think I could sit through and watch it - think I will read the biography instead.
BS x

Billy said...

The scary thing about the Kermode (apart from the hair of course, I'd like to see him adopt a Warhol-style wig) is that I seem to like the same films as him. Except the Exorcist though, didn't think much to that one.

Tim F said...

But isn't that the only film he likes?

Hey, do you remember when he led the house band for Danny Baker's cock-awful TV show?

rockmother said...

Yes Billy - I quite like his reviews too but his hair is a bit odd and I recently found out he is a committed Christian which I thought really odd for some reason.

Unknown said...

Mark Kermode is from Finchley.

Great Edie review, I will definately go and see it now - I was dithering - when it comes to Spain. I remember standing in the dinner queue at school with the girl refered to in your blog entry. She was quite upset, I was just hoping that the baked potatoes hadn´t run out...

Betty said...

Excellent post. I suppose in a way the Factory scene ultimately led to the famous-for-the-sake-of-being-famous culture that rears its head in Heat magazine or Big Brother. Not to say that Edie Sedgwick wasn't a better class of screwed up victim than Jade Goody!

Annie said...

RoMo - get you with the punk attitude, at the age of 12, no less...

Sar, I've never seen her in anything (apart from Heat magazine) but I honestly forgot it was her, she was great.

Billy, it might be an unreasonable criticism of him as a critic(and people in glass houses...) but he isn't terribly attractive.

Tim - then we definitely wouldn't get on. Somebody gave Danny Baker his own show?

Emma - now I'm torn. He's one of us!

Why was our Jan upset in the dinner queue? Was it tapioca for dessert again?

Cheers Betty - I was just thinking that whilst watching it, he was a clever man really and anticipated all this hideousness... the twentieth century made fame democratic, you could admire beautiful iconic Marilyn but equally you could admire an iconic electric chair or an iconic Chairman Mao or an iconic tin of soup...

Anonymous said...

No no, she was upset because Mr Warhol was a gonna, don´t worry about disliking Mark Kermode because of geography - don´t you remember we used to detest most locals, cast your mind back to all the casuals...

Other alumni - Emma Bunton (bland) and the man who designed the Tube Map (good)

Anonymous said...

Mark Kermode is hilarious and I won't hear a bad word against him. Shame on all of you! I don't care what he thinks about a movie, I just love listening to the rants, and let's face it, he is loads better than James King (hell, even my left butt cheek knows more about movies than he does). And hey, not only is The Good Doctor a Finchley boy, but he was also a Habs boy - the latter a much better reason to dislike him...

Anonymous said...

We did a play (we wrote) about Edie/Warhol at the Fringe in Edinburgh last August. Here's a link to a few street scenes when we took the cast along the Royal Mile. You may need to scroll thru 'September'.