Saturday, March 03, 2007

Hopeful

So we went to a singles night, me and Rachael (30-something, feisty good-looking journo, me, knackered-looking 30-something teacher.) Had been invited by her German make-up artist friend, so thought it might be full of arty creative types, though it was (ominously) held in a pub in Whitehall, but I can't be prejudiced against civil servants since technically, I am a civil servant. Besides, what you do is not who you are...

It was a truly hideous pub. We went downstairs where the singles evening was being held, clocked the clientele and came straight back upstairs again. The first man I beheld was representative, being
a) about 4 foot
b) wearing a shirt tucked tidily into jeans and
c) bald.
Now I do not mean to be disrespectful, as we are all deserving of love, but I did not think we would find it there.

So we ran away to the ICA bar around the corner. (It is a £2.00 entrance fee, but they do nice chips, and play good music, if you are ever in the area.)

13 comments:

rockmother said...

Oh my god - sounds horrendous.

Tim F said...

The ICA bar rocks, in an endearingly poncy way. For some people, the black polo-neck never really went away...

Meredith Jones said...

I'd choose nice chips over a bunch of iffy blokes anyday.

qb said...

*hides her civil servant ambitions*

Good job on rescuing the situation!

Annie said...

I'd forgotten all about black polo necks. I used to wear one as a teenager because I thought it made me look like a photographer. Namely, Annie Leibovitz.

Istvanski said...

Oi! That "4' tall bald bloke" was me...

Billy said...

I don't do tucking in but I like chips.

Ariel said...

I still wear black polo necks but that's because I can't afford new clothes. Heavens what a dreadful-sounding evening! Urgh.

Anonymous said...

He was probably fantastic in bed...

Annie said...

RoMo - it was pretty horrendous, but saved by good chips.

I love it, Tim - clearly have not out-grown the black polo-necks yet..

Meredith- absolutely! Chips cure all ills.

Franglaise - I should not be down on civil servants, most of my friends are, or have been, for some reason.

Annie - with your red locks and poloneck, you would have looked like Velma off Scooby Doo, which is even cooler than Annie Leibovitz.

Istvanski - tsk, if I'd known it was you, I would have said hello...

Billy - it's a controversial fashion issue. Some people consider it smart, others beyond the pale.

Hi Ariel! Nothing that couldn't be saved by a bottle of red wine or two.

Greavsie - you're right, I'm sure he'll make some woman very happy, I'll never find out...

Wyndham said...

a) about 4 foot
b) wearing a shirt tucked tidily into jeans and
c) bald.

shit, shit shit.

Annie said...

me and my big mouth... Wyndham, you're a dreamboat, and you know it...

Anonymous said...

Did you not tick the "5 foot and up" box on the form?

They are some singles events that are not so bad. Or so I hear.