Saturday, February 17, 2007

recollect

I watched him as he stood mid-stage, holding a triangle and beating out a rhythm with a frown of concentration on his face, my heart went out to him as he stood there, it sounded wicked but he looked a little self-conscious, and sure enough afterwards he told me
‘I feel like an utter twat that bit when I have to stand there all on my own in the middle with the triangle.’ As I looked round, the whole field at Glastonbury was jumping up and down to their music and I felt proud to know him.

He was such a sweet boy when I first met him, and didn’t seem to have the faintest clue just how sexy he was. I remember realising I liked him early on when he came to our house for a party. Sitting cross-legged in the living room, he leaned back too far and fell backwards into the fireplace. ‘Are you alright, J?’ ‘I’m fine’ he said, sitting up with dignity. Everyone was cracking up. It was bad timing when we met because he’d just come out of an entanglement with one of my best friends, and was moving to London to start his music career. He said he was sorry he was moving just as we’d met.

And the next time we saw each other he’d changed, was no longer a sweet boy. His band were struggling, and contrary though it is, lack of success seemed to have made him more arrogant. These days they’re doing quite well, I see their name all over the place and they tour abroad a lot, but stories filter back of prima donna behaviour, internecine warfare. They've lost not one, but two female lead singers, who've both gone on to have stellar careers without them. He seems always restless, consumed with something or other. And I’m kind of glad we never got involved, because sexy as he is, he seems like very very bad medicine.

9 comments:

Meredith Jones said...

That's so good Annie. I love these memories that people write on their blogs. Things that would probably never make it into the public domain otherwise. You might like The Ballroom, dedicated to the memory of one music venue in Melbourne from 1979-1982.
http://thechandelier.blogspot.com/index.html

prolix said...

I'm taking 'bad medicine' as a clue. It's Jon Bon Jovi isn't it?

Tim F said...

I'm taking disappearing female lead singers as a clue. Did they by any chance have a hit with a cover of a James Taylor song?

rockmother said...

Yes - disappearing female leads - I'm thinking hard.

Tim F said...

I've just remembered: I used to work with someone who briefly went out with the bassplayer of the Young Disciples. If I find someone who snogged the saxophonist of Incognito, can I do a post on People I've Known Who've Enjoyed Fleeting Flirtations With Members Of Acid Jazz Bands With Which Carleen Anderson Has Sung, If Only Briefly?

patroclus said...

This is a great story, Annie, and a great puzzle into the bargain.

*spends entire rest of day on Wikipedia*

Sounds like you had a lucky escape, though. You could have ended up like Justine Frischmann. Brrr.

Also, Prolix really made me laugh.

Annie said...

Merci, Meredith. That sounds like my cup of tea, will check it out.

Prolix - hahaha! Cheeky bugger, I'm old but I'm not that old. (Didn't know they had a song called Bad Medicine... Livin' on a Prayer now, is my karaoke ambition.)

Tim - not sure who this refers to - trying to track it down, I came across this fascinating site that you and Patroclus might like.

RoMo - I think that most people probably won't have heard of them, they are well-known in a 'festival circuit' sort of way, not a MySpace /Heat magazine way...

Tim - aaaargh, Young Disciples, Acid Jazz flashbacks... I will never forgive them, never, for massacring my favourite Stevie Wonder tune. The temerity! If I win the lottery, I will pay a hitman to give them their just desserts.

Thanks Patroclus! Yes... except at least Justine Frischmann had her own band. I reckon it would have been more like poor Deborah Curtis...

patroclus said...

Annie - that covers site is great! Thank you!

Anonymous said...

WHO IS IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!meeeegghhhh!