Wednesday, June 25, 2008

7 songs

I have been tagged by foxy Clair and lovely Boz for this 7 songs meme. I'm having the same problems as Tim though - lost my music mojo and have not changed the tunes on my iPod in a hundred years. And on the rare occasion I hear something I like - say, Lykke Li - they immediately go and use it on a car advert or something. Minus 10 groovy points.

So here's what I propose - you let me know what song is rocking your summer, it could be old or new, just one, and I'll track them down and post them here. Only one though - okay Del?


Update:

I Feel It All by Feist, recommended by Bowleserised. Fireworks in the video, I like it. Feist is a chick. I thought Feist was a band. V out of touch.

SuperTrouper by Max Raabe - Abba in a thirties (?) crooner style, from Ben.

Beguine the Beguine by Artie Shaw, from Arabella. Makes you wish you could dance properly.

Grace Under Pressure
by Elbow, from Del - I like it a lot. It also kind of starts off like The Rain Song and makes me all nostalgic.

Sugar Water by Cibo Matto, as suggested by Billy. Cute Japanese girls showering in sugar (yes) in the video, child-like vocals over trip hop - what's not to like?

Main Bloom
by Go Home Productions, by Rockmother - odd & original mashup of Nirvana as a jazzy soundtrack to a Sweeney style cop show. Nice but kind of sad to see Kurt Cobain again - wasn't he a beauty?

Moving by Cathy Davey - lovely singer-songwriter I've never seen before, as recommended by new visitor Troll Formerly Known as Yooper - hi, TFKAY! I have no idea of the answer to your question - is it one of the lyrics? The only video I could find is her supporting the Verve live and the sound is a bit muddy.


Thanks, everybody. It's a lot more eclectic and interesting than what I would have come up with.

9 comments:

Bowleserised said...

I Feel it All by Feist.

Cannot overstate how that song can pick one up and buoy one along. And the video is to die for.

Quink said...

Super Trouper, as covered by Max Raabe. Cheers and creases me up every time I hear it.

Anonymous said...

'Begin the Beguine' - Artie Shaw. It's all about the last goose-pimpling long note.
This is the only thing that banishes the 'Bimbo' song Betty left on her blog (try saying that while eating a Jacob's cracker my friend). Yeah, thanks for that Betty.

Del said...

Just one?! Heheh. You know me only too well.

Elbow - 'Grace Under Pressure'.

One the bands I'm most looking forward this weekend. The huge chant of "We still believe in love, so fuck you!" was sung by the crowd at Glastonbury and sampled on the song. Gives me chills every time I hear it. Just a wonderful record.

Billy said...

Anything by Cibo Matto.

rockmother said...

Main Bloom by Go Home Productions (aka Mark Vidler) from the splendid new Spliced Krispies album

http://www.gohomeproductions.co.uk
/mp3.html

Vicki Holdwick said...

Moving by Cathy Davey

And, if this is a really stupid question, please forgive me and answer anyway,

What does "can you keep your toe in the bag" mean exactly?

Thanks

Anonymous said...

TFKaY, I think I can help: keeping one's toe "in the bag" is that last-minute but essential thing to remember after having "pushed the envelope". Often, however, if one has neglected to "think outside the box", one's toe can be left behind. Then it becomes necessary to "expedite" the procedure.
You're welcome.

Anonymous said...

Ahh .. haven't had a blog catch up in ages, sorry you haven't been top of the world ..

How about 'Everybody needs a Home' by Chris Walla, the guy from Death Cab for Cutie. He's not as on the money as Ben Gibbard, but that's relative and this song is so happy, summer etc ..