Monday, June 09, 2008

Sunday

You have just returned from breakfast at Lennie's, picking up flowers at Columbia Road, a wander down Brick Lane and back through Victoria Park in the sunshine. You have picked up a bottle of vino and some cigarettes because it is too nice not to have a little drink in the sun. You are enjoying your vino when there's a knock on the door - who can it be? Londoners never drop in unannounced.

Horrors! It is the landlord and landlady. They said they left a message, but you never listen to the answermachine. The landlady says something about 'sorting the garden out.'

So when they leave you go into the back yard. You haven't touched it all year and the tiny space is a veritable jungle. You start hacking at it with a pair of kitchen scissors. (You're buggered if you'll pay someone to sort it out, when you never planted any of this stuff in the first place.) The buddleia is sky high and covered in snails.

Have you ever had a snail fall into your hair from up above? I have.

8 comments:

Rad said...

I have too. And spiders. And have I ever regaled you with tales of being spattered with dog poo while using a strimmer. Oh the life of a municipal gardener is a barrel of laughs. Still better than sitting in this poxy office though. :(

rockmother said...

Oh - how bloody inconsiderate of them - to come round on such a lovely day. Horrible feeling having to greet unannounced landladylords. Been there - hideous.

Alan said...

I'll see your falling snail and raise you one pony sneezing on your neck as you pick her hoof.

Horse snot is much worse than snail slime!

Annie said...

Rad, I hear you. On days like these I wish I was a gardener. Though the strimmer incident makes me think twice.

RoMo - I know! Luckily they didn't stay long.

Alan, you win. Maybe the pony was trying to express her displeasure?

Anonymous said...

cigarettes will harm you faster than a falling snail, love.

Annie said...

Tara, true, though they don't have horns and are not slimy. My pattern with smoking is stop/start/stop/start... I've decided to live with this pattern.

Rad said...

Snails don't have horns, they have pseudopods. Pseudopods are cool. And where did I say poo spattering was an incident? It was a regular occurrence. Thankfully I never caught any in my mouth which did happen to a chum of mine. :D

Annie said...

They don't pay gardeners enough, Rad.