Thursday, December 11, 2008

The Collector collector

When my mum got older, she started collecting pigs. My friend's mum started collecting owls. 'It freaks me out' said my friend. 'Everytime you go in the living room, there's hundreds of little owl eyes, weirding you out whilst you watch TV...'

It's a weird thing that seems to happen to women after middle age, & I swore it wouldn't happen to me (apart from a fatal weakness for fliers or any well-designed bit of paper but I'm trying to curb this habit, there's not enough room in my flat.)We must resist, RESIST, the bizarre compulsion to collect ceramic animals when the world no longer finds us desirable...

Only now I realised I've got more old Penguins than can really be passed off as a coincidence. But just look at the covers! How can you resist these beauties, especially when they only cost a couple of quid? And now there's an Alan Aldridge exhibition on at the Design Museum, and it occurs that you can track down a piece of art by a famous artist for less than the price of a bus journey... and I discovered the greatest Flickr group ever created... I feel a new obsession coming on. I fear I will soon have to move out to make room for the dog-eared paperbacks. (Maybe I can open a secondhand book stall, like Iain Sinclair, there's good money in that. Not.)

Why must we collect things? Why why why? What did you collect? Top trumps? Panini stickers? Spill...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Book Dedications

Annie said...

If I find any, I'll send them your way...

Istvanski said...

Collecting is a typical English trait (along with bad teeth - Andy Partridge's words, not mine).
I've been collecting these for 20+ years.

Anonymous said...

I collect sugar from cafes and restaurants. I have sugar from almost everywhere I have been.

Del said...

Records. Moreso now than CDs, which seem flimsy and cheap in comparison. A record sleeve looks like a piece of art. It's a wonderful thing to possess.

I think collecting is an urge to place order and control over a world over which you can do neither. Especially songs, which are little frozen snippets of time. Emotions captured forever on slabs of vinyl, so maleable and fragile.

Rad said...

You know what I collect.
I'm going to be a really mean fucker and send you a toy now! :D

Annie said...

Istvanski - GOOD LORD! Those are all yours?! I bow down to you! That is some serious connoiseurship.

Sar, you are a cosmopolitan, well-travelled sophisti-cat with all your sugars.

Del, I think that is very true. I liked it in Lost in Music when he confessed he'd flip the racks at record fairs, going 'Got that. Got that. Got that. Had that...'

Rad, NOOOOOO! DON'T MAKE ME START COLLECTING TOYS! Before you know it, I'll have turned into my mum.