Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Spend spend spend

The Inland Revenue has granted me some freedom tokens. It was a rollercoaster of emotions there for a while - they sent me something with 'repayment is due' but it didn't say who owed who - then they sent me another letter with 'zero repayment is due' - phew - but then, no fat cheque winging my way either.

Now they've sent me another letter saying that repayment is due to ME! And they're sending me a cheque!

Decisions, decisions...
  • We're in a recession. Should probably squirrel it away somewhere (safest place probably in my mattress, like these folk
  • A million & one necessary but boring things around the house
  • Or buy a DSLR.
  • Or buy a shiny laptop.
  • Or go far, far, far away.
If I knew how to make it stretch that far, I'd use it to retrain for another career.

How would you use unexpected freedom tokens?

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Buy something exciting but necessary.

GreatSheElephant said...

Spend half, save half.

Anonymous said...

Pay off debt (the bulk of which, currently, is owed to the taxman. Drone).

Anonymous said...

...and what's a DSLR? A camera?

Annie said...

What is this, the Zen school of advice?

'Exciting but necessary'? 'Useless but essential'?

And spend half on WHAT?

Bah, you're not getting into the SPEND SPEND SPEND spirit at all. Free money, people! Pass Go and collect!

Annie said...

Oh BiB. That's just giveth with one hand, taketh with the other. Pretend your debts are all gone, what would you do? Yes, DSLR is a digital single lens reflex, a proper camera with proper big old lenses *eyes glaze over*

Tim F said...

Keep hold of it for six months' time, when the IR says, "Nah, just kidding, we wants your moneys really."

Annie said...

They'll have to whistle for it if it's all spent, Tim.

Anonymous said...

Oh well, if it's really guilt-free money... Umm. How much are we talking? Enough to buy myself a little flatette? I'd probably invite me and the other half to Peru so that we'd never have to talk about holidays again, or at least not for ages.

But, darling, didn't you want to learn to drive? Might this be the time?

Anonymous said...

Save it for your not impossible move to the far East! OR buy the laptop.

Rad said...

Can I send you the link to my Amazon Wishlist? :D

rockmother said...

Travel and then get camera in duty free as you will save even more that way!

Marsha Klein said...

Sensibly? Pay off some debt.

Ideally? Holiday.

Realistically? Fritter it all away on inconsequential nonsense!

P.S I like RoMo's idea.