Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Rich men

We were talking about a friend of ours who's going out with a rich man. There's a general idea that women are like magpies, attracted by bright shiny expensive stuff, but I have a blind spot about the attraction of rich men. (Partly because I'm not exactly the kind of arm candy a rich man would go for. I have my quirky charms but I imagine if you're minted you'd want someone younger, blonder, prettier, skinnier, and probably with pneumatic boobs.) Money is power, and if someone is taking you out, buying you stuff, and paying for everything, it usually comes with strings. Just because someone has money, it doesn't mean it's your money. My stepmother, who'd probably faint with horror if anyone called her a feminist, led by example, though she's from a totally different generation and mindset: "Always have your own bank account" she said when I was 18 "and always have your own money."

This man is in a high-powered job, famous in his field, and takes her out to Soho House and to his rich friends' houses in Holland Park, then he talks to her like dirt in front of her friends in the cab on the way home. Where is the glamour in that?

I don't know what I'd do if I met someone rich that I liked. I think it would be more of a negative than a plus point. The imbalance. Someone with a talent or a skill now, I can see the attraction in that. My colleague was talking about her fiance. 'I met him last December at a house party' she said. 'Was it love at first sight?' 'Well, he cooked us all Christmas dinner.' Makes sense to me.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

My ex bf was rich and paid for my education, now I don't know how I can possibly repay him. Not that he ever wanted repaying, but I feel I should do something.

Anonymous said...

The only advantage I can see is being able to get taxis all the time.

Annie said...

Oh, little Pinch - get very, very rich and successful and you can pay it back with a flourish. Or else, forgeddaboutit - he was just lucky to have you whilst he did, my dear.

Billy, that is a very, very good point - (if I won the lottery, I wouldn't buy a car, I'd just get taxis everywhere. I love a black cab, me.)

Anonymous said...

If I was rich, I'd buy a huge big gold travelcard and take trams and trains to my heart's content. Though transport is probably quite a lot less fun in London.

Anyway, aren't the rich about to disappear? Living in Berlin, I'd already long since forgotten that they existed.

rockmother said...

Ugh - your friends bf sounds like a candidate for domestic abuse rehab if you ask me. How dare he talk to her like that. If I was really rich I would take cabs all the time as as you know I share your love of black cabs too - and then run him over with one. Yours feistily x

Rad said...

I agree with Rockmother. Bloke sounds like an absolute cock.

Annie said...

RoMo - teehee!

Rad - I know, and if you knew her, she's LOVELY, as well as gorgeous.

Del said...

There's nothing romantic about being rich.

"What I want...
Is a room with a three-bar fire,
like the one you had before,
When you were poor and i just liked you more."

My Sex by Elastica. Says it all really.

Del said...

(And yeah, that bloke sounds like a word I won't say.)

Annie said...

Ooh, Elastica paying 'homage' to the Smiths?

'In the days when you were hopelessly poor,
I just liked you more'.

Speaking of which, it said in the paper today the Smiths were considering reforming. I wish they wouldn't, though.

Del said...

Ooh, you know the Smiths better than I do!! I'm sure it is an homage. The end of that song also directly rips off Bowie's Sound and Vision. Which may also be a subtle dig at Damon, who became obsessed with Bowie after Justine had introduced him to him.

I wouldn't want the Smiths getting back together either. Even though I missed them first time round.

Rad said...

I'd rather see Elastica reform.