Thursday, November 08, 2007

How I narrowly avoided social shame & humiliation in the Tate

I am having a very special day - have been given funding to watch artists working with secondary school kids in the Tate. Have arisen at a luxurious 8.00 am and rode on the bus to the Millenium Bridge, enjoyed a coffee in the cafe and am just meeting up with the students and the artists when I suddenly become aware that my usual natural fragrance of rose petals is less, how shall we say, fragrant than usual. The jumper I picked up in a hurry this morning was not all freshly laundered! In short, it reeks. How could I have not noticed? I am not totally engaged in observing the artists at work, or the fabulous art works on the wall - I am anxiously edging away from people so they don't stand downwind of me. 'Eurrrgh... who was that smelly cow?' I imagine the secondary school students saying of me back at school (and didn't everyone have a smelly teacher you would dread leaning over you to look at your work? I have become that person!)

Brainwave! The shop must sell T-shirts. And it does. Louise Bourgeois t-shirts that say 'Art is a guaranty [sic] of sanity', David Shrigley t-shirts that say 'Your pizza has arrived', Guerilla Girls' 'The Advantage of Being A Woman Artist' t-shirts, t-shirts that say 'Arty' 'Keep It Surreal' and 'Tony Hart'. They all cost £25.00 and surely someone will notice that I have changed into a slogan. So I end up in a kid's t-shirt that costs £12.50. I had to turn it inside out though; it looks like this.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

The t-shirt is lovely. As are you. (Time to compliment re. your not getting enough affirmation. Nor do you smell.)

rockmother said...

Oh no - I had that 'didn't take it out of the washing machine quick enough' jumper smell the other day but luckily I put it on and took it straight off again before I left the house! Top marks for getting into a childs size tshirt though. The project sounds really interesting. I'm sure no one noticed.

Anonymous said...

you really made me laugh - I am laughing out loud at work reading this. I can't believe you bought that tshirt - oh my god.

patroclus said...

Annie, I know you are very slender and petite, but how on earth are you fitting into a t-shirt for 5-6 year olds?

Annie said...

Thanks, BiB. You are lovely too.

RoMo, it is a fab project which I'll tell you about in long and boring detail when we meet.

Sar, I know. I don't know anyone who will want it either - even the kids in my class would scorn it.

Interesting you should ask that P, as I had a run in with a stroppy French shop assistant in the Tate shop:
Me: Does this t-shirt come in a large?
SFSA: *shrugs Gallicly* I don’t know. It’s not my section.
Me: Is there anyone who would know?
SFSA: *sighs* What do you want to know?
Me: DOES THIS T-SHIRT COME IN A LARGE SIZE?
SFSA: Did you check?
Me: Yes.
SFSA: No.

(The medium size was plenty big enough, so either they’re meant for obese 5-6 year olds, or to be worn as night-dresses which come down to their feet like Wee Willie Winkie.)

rockmother said...

It could have been worse. It could have been this one!
http://www.tate.org.uk/
shop/group.do?id=530

How do you do highlighted links by the way Miss? I am such a retardgirl!

Annie said...

Put this code around it Romo (removing the spaces) and put in url where it says url and replacing TEXT with whatever you want the link to say...

< a href = " http : // URL "> TEXT < / a >

I only know this because other bloggers told me...

Anonymous said...

I have a very poor sense of smell and consequently live in fear of something like this happening (although how would I know?) I am also very impressed that you can fit into a child's t-shirt. I'm afraid I would rely on the shop selling children's pop-tents or those parachutes that nursery classes use.