Monday, May 12, 2008

On having superpowers

So, my telly is on the blink, it is practically from the Stone Age and will be like a giant useless empty box as soon as they flip the switch that turns off analogue (or however that works). Coinciding with a period of being broke I thought I'd try without it for a while. There's so much available to watch on the internets nowadays too, who needs it?

But I have suddenly got hooked, HOOKED, a bit late but never mind, on Heroes. I LOVE Heroes.

I love cute Japanese moon-faced Hiro, and chilling split personality Nicky, and Micah, her incredibly endearing little boy who can technopathically make cash machines spit out money for him; and cheesy politician Nathan, and the tall dark sexy Haitian who can wipe people's memories, and sweet Claire the angelic cheerleader who creepily keeps getting bashed up and killed then REGENERATING HERSELF . And evil Sylar, who is an absolutely convincing, terrifying baddie.

I like the interwoven plots and the idea that superpowers are more of a curse than a blessing (the dark comedy of the man whose hands go radioactive when he gets angry, for example.)

And you can stream it all for free, how wonderful... but it takes bloody hours. I waited patiently/impatiently for episode 18 to download all day. May have to actually invest in a proper TV/DVD then rent the whole lot and have a 48 hour Heroes fest. Very tempted to get this TV - regard its wooden retro appeal. Can't really fathom that huge widescreen cinema business that the boys go in for. Men and their obsession with size, hey?

16 comments:

Rosie said...

never really got into Heroes, Lost is about all my brain can cope with at the moment.

that telly's awful cute. re boys and their obsession with widescreens, you should see the size of LC's telly... obscene.

Annie said...

So much better than Lost, Rosie, believe me. I think it's partly because it has actual events actually developing in the story, whereas Lost is all hints and nothing happens... and also because it's pretty urban. Give me a city over an island any day.

Why does that not surprise me about LC's telly?

LC said...

I like having a big wide screen TV for no other reason than it's great for watching fillums and playing Grand Theft Auto, you know, coz you can see more stuff and everything. But obviously women are obsessed with cocks, so I completely understand that you might read more into it than that.

Heroes is great - I stole the entire first series off the interweb in all its high definition glory. The second series got caught up in the writer's strike and was a bit pants, but I have high hopes for the next batch.

Billy said...

LC basically wrote my comment for me, which is odd.

I don't have a telly as big as his, I'm sure.

Annie said...

I see what you did there LC. You are clever. All I can say in response is SO'S YOUR FACE.

But Billy, then you are stuck with an enormous piece of ugly furniture which dominates the room when it's turned off. I'm sure nobody has a telly as big as LC's.

Anonymous said...

How do you stream it for free?

Season 1 is great, Season 2 was a bit meh.

But yes, it's great. It's no Lost, however!

Tim F said...

Next week, women compare their fannies to mobile phones.

Annie said...

Destructor, I always had the feeling the writers didn't really know where they were going with Lost. You can stream it here -
http://www.tvokay.com/tv/heroes.htm (you do not need to download this Zango thing. Scroll down, links at the bottom hosted by Megavideo are fastest.)

Tim - or handbags?

Anonymous said...

Annie - would you like my TV? It's yours if you come and pick it up in a cab? It won't fit in my new bedroom where moving. It's a 24 inch - everything works and it's clean.

Rad said...

Tim Footman just made me laugh out loud at my desk! :D

Annie, that wooden TV is an affront. It's not big, it certainly isn't clever!

Rad said...

Oh, and watch Battlestar Galactica too. It's ace.

Rosie said...

i'm now preoccupied with comparing my fanny to my phone and handbag, trying to decide which one is more representative of me.

thanks, Tim.

Annie said...

Thanks Bad Sar, you are a star. We will liaise tomorrow...

Rad, it is beautiful and you know it.
Noooo - nothing can replace him out of the A-team in this newfangled Battlestar Galactica.

Rosie, remember this post? I found this new name in John Cleland - the 'seat of pleasure'.

Rosie said...

i had never seen that post, Annie, i wasn't lurking here all that long before i started throwing my tuppenceworth at you like the rest of em.

i'm quite fond of pussy myself. or cunt, but that depends (somewhat oddly) on who i'm with.

but i'm fortunate in that i have a whole 'nother language to play with too.

Annie said...

That's true. It seems like we've always known you. Aw...

Go on, teach us some useful Irish words then. And how to pronounce them...

Rosie said...

pis agus bod! pis translates as cunt and has nothing to do with "piss" (though it has almost the same pronunciation). Piss would be translated as mĂșn - which has nothing to do with "moon" (though it has almost the same pronunciation). bod translates as cock, it's pronounced bud (which has nothing to do with buds...)

clear as mud?