Sunday, September 11, 2005

Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell

They're making it into a film!

Can't wait.

It got marketed as one of those cross-over children's/adults' books but that is because they are a little bit embarrassed about the fantasy genre in this country, always have been. It's a grownup book, like the best graphic novelists - Alan Moore or Neil Gaiman (not his straight novels, which are disappointing) crossed with great 19th century writers like Stevenson or Dickens.

Read it, it's brilliant. It's a beautiful book. Now out in paperback, so you don't even have to break your wrist hefting the hardback version around. It's one of those books that's so powerful, you are lost when it's finished.

2 comments:

Wyndham said...

Hmmm, I enjoyed Strange and Norrell but thought it in need of a ruthless editor. There were, I thought, enormous swathes of it that just didn't need to be there, pretty though they were. And I'm not quite sure I understood the end, to be honest. But that's not unusual with me.

Annie said...

Ah, that's because you're a boy? I've often noticed that they have less tolerance of a lot of detail in books, which the ladies enjoy. Must confess I can't remember the end.