Monday, September 19, 2005

New Wave

Ah, beautiful. I am listening to Nouvelle Vague, which I kept hearing in various coffee shops. With cunning and stealth I tracked it down in a record shop. After frantically scanning jazz, world, compilation sections, I went to the counter: “Have you got this album, it’s called Nouvelle Vague?” - the girl gestured silently behind me, where there was an entire wall of them on display. Minus 10 groovy points for me.

It is by French producers who have lovingly covered post-punk pop (or New Wave) songs like Making Plans For Nigel or This Is Not A Love Song with slinky Brazilian and French singers and musicians. (Bossa Nova means New Wave apparently - punning musically and literally in 3 languages, aren’t they clever?) You can’t believe how well it works. Love Will Tear Us Apart is especially transcendentally gorgeous, though the Brazilian singer clearly has no idea what the words mean - “When your tuna bites hard” is what it comes out like.

The bossa nova/samba-y covers reveal some beautiful indestructible tunes - Marianne by Sisters of Mercy is very haunting too - who’d have thought it of those pseudy old Goths? But favourite by far is by Modern English called Melt With You - I don’t recall them from the first time round but it makes me want to check them out, it is one of those songs that reminds you of being in love. If you stick it on at the end of the day, I guarantee it will mellow you out.

4 comments:

neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

Bossa Nova is such a cool-laidback- coconut-trees-swaying-in-the-evening kinda music. Ever listened to Tom Jobim?

Anonymous said...

Nouvelle Vague is such a cool album, and now I feel like I'm +10 groovy points for having owned it for a year - not a usual feeling for me! The cover of Too Drunk To Fuck just makes me want to wrap the singer up in a blanket and take care of her.

Annie said...

Thanks for the tip, Guyana Gyal. We seriously need some sunshine-y music as we head into the English winter - brrr. Karen, you are too cool for school. It takes me a while, you know. What with the ear trumpet and everything.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I'm afraid I'm pretty much as cool as Karen, having listened to the Nouvelles so much I'm actually beginning to tire of them a bit (they were on our second podcast, dontcha know). But I hearsay they have a new album out. Must get it, methinks...