Monday, December 05, 2005

Buy this

This is me at the moment, in serious need of the gym. Actually it's not, it's Maggie from Love and Rockets, but shows exactly why you have to love this comic. (Just went through that rite- of- passage moment when your folks say to you, you know those boxes we've been holding onto, for years, can you come and get them? We need the space back. The upside was getting re-acquainted with books from way back.)

Written by los bros Hernandez, two Mexican American brothers, they somehow manage to write about women like they are total foxes and sex kittens, yet in a way that lets you know that they also admire and understand them. Gilberto wrote about this fictional village, Palomar, which is very Gabriel García Márquez, and he's very dark.

Jaime's was science-fictiony (hence the Rockets) and parodied super-hero comics, until he got more interested in his characters' relationships. His artwork is just beautiful, I'd like to post it for you here every day and nothing else, (but that would be cheating.)


They wound it up in the nineties, and we were all heart-broken. These comics and books were passed around and we talked about the characters like they were people we knew.

So when I uncovered this in the box,
I had a look to see what they were up to - and found out they started writing them again in 2000.

Meaning there's a 5 year backlog to catch up with!

Christmas has come early in Slaminsky Mansions.

13 comments:

DCveR said...

I'd say this is going on my list, but that said list is long as long can be so it may take me quite some time before I actually read it...

Anonymous said...

Love & Rockets, great stuff.
Do you still read comics?

neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

Oh I love comics, I wish there were more. I'm going to tell folks about this.

Happy reading, Annie.

Adrian said...

I never read L&R (although red just about everything else) but was aware I should have.

Have you read Bone?

David said...

Ah, I love discovering old stuff in boxes. I've just re-discovered my old diaries from when I was 17-18 years old.

happy re-discovery.

Annie said...

Dcver - I demand you put the others aside and read it immediately! ;-)

I've dropped out of the comic habit Rad - though did venture into a comic shop for the first time in a long time to see if they had any L&R, took me way back...

I'd send you my L&R Adrian but it's definitely on my "A" list. I haven't read Bone - what's it about?

Thanks GG! spread the word...

Greavsie, I burned mine...

Anonymous said...

Bone's very good indeed. It's like a cartoon version of Lord of the Rings but with laffs and cuteness. It's very epic and I cried when I finished it. Yeah Yeah! I know how girly that sounds. There's a big chunky collected edition that'll set you back £25.00 Well worth it if you ask me.

Of course if you fancy seeing a homicidal cat try to go canoeing in a pig's corpse stolen from the back of a butchers shop you could do a lot worse than buying Bear.

Adrian said...

I got the big chunky edition for my birthday and it was most awesome. I also cried. (sssh don't tell anyone).

I'm happy to lend you bone in exchnage for some L&R if you like.

Annie said...

Great - though I have lost the comics and only have the books now - may be a while til I can get to the post office, (if you can wait!)

Adrian said...

Prefer reading graphic novels these days anyway than the actual comics.

Am sure we can sort out a person to person exchange over the London boarder (North South & East West baorders). The Bone book is the biggest thing on the planet.

Annie said...

Okey dokey. Maybe we can find a heavy duty carrier-pigeon.

The Curve said...

Annie, what a fabulous topic - how we used to love L&R! After we talked a few months ago about them, I crazily ordered all the new issues and all the back issues i was missing online. And I haven´t even seen them yet - they´re in london! Want to come over for a huge reading session when you get back from barcelona?

(this is emma, from Dave´s machine by the way)

Annie said...

Absolutely Em! It's a date. Sorry it took me so long to reply - I don't always see when I get a comment on an older post. Need to fix that.

Digging Dave's new site, by the way.