Thursday, December 29, 2005

Disaster of huge proportions

On my way home, I go into Londis, our local corner shop which is run by a Hindi family. I've been going there for nearly 3 years. As I'm paying, the man behind the counter says
"How's your boyfriend?"
"No boyfriend" I say (fool, idiot!). "Poor me, hey?"
"I don't have a girlfriend.I'm looking for a girlfriend. Think about me, hey?"
I laugh, like he's making a joke, but oh no.
"What do you think about me?"
"Um, you're very cute?" I venture.
"I've been thinking about you for 6 months." he says. "Seriously, think about it.".

Holy flying fuck, I can never go into Londis again, the mortal embarrassment will kill me.
Where can I do my grocery shopping now?

12 comments:

DC said...

*looks into crystal ball* - and sees a little Tesco's online shopping in the near future.

neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

Hahaaaaa. Okay. I shouldn't laugh but it's happened to me...so I giggle in commiseration tee hee...

Alda said...

Here's a tip: next time he tells you 'I'm looking for a girlfriend,' just say 'me too' and give him a wink.

He'll never bother you again.

David said...

Unless you want a change of career as 'Cornershop Person' of course?

You obviosuly exude 'Grocer'. ;-)

Natsthename said...

He's been thinking about you for six months? I hope it was ONLY while he was working....

Anonymous said...

That's such a coincidence: I've been thinking about you for six months, as well!

JonnyB said...

So basically you're looking to turn down the cute heir to a large cornershop empire...?!?

Cream said...

Are you sure it wasn't Sanjiv off the Television Kumars who was just pulling your leg?
Alda's got it in one!

Annie said...

US, you're so right. I'm going to bookmark them this instant.

GG, this is no laughing matter. Tell me how you dealt with it, quick.

Alda, damn, that would have been perfect! In French I think they call it l'esprit du l'escalier, what you think of to say too late, when you're halfway down the stairs afterwards.

Greavsie, I've always quite fancied my own pricing gun. Not to mention a checked overall.

Nat, I hope so too (*chills*)

Destructor, you tease. How can that be, when this only started 4 months ago? Or did you find a wormhole?

(BTW, I blame your friend. After an afternoon's drinking with him my wits were not as razorsharp as usual.)

JonnyB, when you put it like that... what was I thinking?

Cream, he is tragically like Sanjiv from the Kumars. Except not fictional.
;-)

neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

Humour, or ignore or bluntness, Annie.

Alda has the right answer if he brings it up again.

He's NOT Arjun Rampal material, I take it.

Annie said...

I just googled Arjun Rampal GG - phwoar, if only!

Adrian said...

Chuckle. Blame me eh. I recall offering you coffee as well. ;-)

You'll have to shop online now.