Friday, February 08, 2008

F**zine

Okay, I know none but the faithful few are really interested in this, but the first workshop was so much fun, so inspiring & exciting & generally out of my comfort zone, and you know, my blog yada yada yada...

So now I know that you can widen the remit and it doesn't have to be just about music, it's whatever you fancy, and here are some of the words I scribbled down when they asked us to write down what it was about: music, line drawings, Hackney, photography, graphics, typography, my favourite writers, graffitti/street art around Brick Lane, comic strip? cartoons Penguin covers laundrettes. Don't like the sound of that? Write in & influence it...
  • And here is the deal: Rough Trade will a) print up gratis and b) distribute it in the shop.
  • So feel free to inundate me. You all are my favourite writers, I've got 2 weeks to do it and have to turn up at the next one with it pretty much finished, ready to print.
  • I can put it together, you don't have to pay to get it done AND can advertise your blogs in it, it's a win-win situation!
  • Or not. No pressure, like. You could just read it, if you prefer - we've already got some magnificent writing from Billy, RoMo and DJ Del - the latter exclusives not to be found on their blogs, oh no.
  • Oh, how I wish I could draw like Lucy, though, now more than ever.
  • And that I had a name for it. How am I going to tie all that together and be cool and make people want to pick it up, and yet not make people cringe? Naming is the hardest part. *
*Which reminds me of a friend at college, who called his band Pit, just so their first record could be called 'Pitiful'.

8 comments:

Geoff said...

I would like to do it but I don't really like my music writing.

I still quite like some of my music poems, though. Even if nobody else does.

Geoff said...

Oh bollocks, they're here...

http://popnrockstew.blogspot.com/

Annie said...

Oh Geoff. Why not? Go on, be bold...
I like your music poems, can't you send me some current ones? Go on, you know you want to...

Billy said...

Annie, I am working on another piece which may well be suitable for including in your fanzine.

When do I have to have done it by and how long do you want it?

Annie said...

Can I submit something I've already posted about music? Or does it have to be new?

Cool idea.

Annie said...

Billy, next Wednesday would be good - as for length, I can make it as long as it needs to be to contain everyone's writing, (the beauty of self publishing, hey? though perhaps not thesis-length...)

Annie, hurrah! That would be perfect!

Dick Headley said...

Hi Annie...Just learned about your project from Istvanski. He suggested I submit something. How?

Annie said...

Hi DH, fantastic. Just email me whatever you like at slaminsky at gmail dot com.