Sunday, February 24, 2008

Shameless

I wanted to do Betty and Geoff's Guilty Pleasures meme, I really did, but then what shameful secrets do I have left to share with you? I have already plumbed the depths of musical degradation many a time and there's no sin left to reveal - but wait, what's this - I'd forgotten this little treasure which I'd downloaded in a nostalgic mood recently. Remembering a time when I wore white ankle socks to school and was an avid reader of Smash Hits. I do genuinely like this song, and the way he sings it (Okay, bang goes my street credibility. I also like Iggy and the Stooges, had I mentioned that?) It has a certain instrument on it - could it possibly be called the slap bass, or am I making it up? - which is like Proust's madeleine in musical form, totally redolent of the 80s. (There's also some kind of percussion sound like someone smoking a bong, or maybe that's just my speakers.)

Hadn't realised there was a video too - please please watch it, nothing else has brought me such pleasure in a long time...

(I'd be grateful if you can also please explain the semiotics of it, I was totally baffled. Why does she kiss the blond chick? Why does he push the bald bloke down the stairs...?)



6 comments:

rockmother said...

Oh god - fancying boys, warm beer, missing the last bus home, cut-off jumpers, stretch spray-on jeans, cheap rimmel shimmer lipstick, slouch boots, big fringe, big earrings and lots of eyeliner.

Tim F said...

Fretless bass, I think.

PY actually had (has?) a pretty good blue-eyed soul voice. But this is the worst video of all time, and I'm including Hilbilly Rock Hillbilly Roll by the cast of Emmerdale.

Tim F said...

btw, would 'Old enough to remember Paul Young' be a good fanzine title?

llewtrah said...

All the reminiscing made me search for Cerrone's "Supernature" (full version) .... and I still love it!!! It's even more topical today.

Annie said...

RoMo - Rimmel shimmer lipstick!! mine was Coffee Shimmer, if I recall correctly.

Thank you, Tim. Fretless. *blushes in shame* Yes, it is the worst video in the world, by a long chalk. Still, I believe Paul married the lovely lady in the video, so some good came of it.

Maybe I'll suggest 'Old Enough To Remember Paul Young' as a music supplement to Saga magazine.

Llewtrah - Supernature - Oh. My. Lord!

Anonymous said...

ewww - so much lycra