Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Breeders

I saw the Breeders, and not only that, but for FREE, yes that's right for FREE, in Rough Trade.

Was late coming from work and in need of a) a wee b) a cigarette and c) some food, in that order - I nearly skipped it waiting forty five minutes in the cold to get in, but am so glad I didn't. They were so GOOD. They played all their tunes of old - Cannonball, One Divine Hammer, Driving All Night, No Aloha, not just the new one they're promoting, indulged in sisterly banter -
Kim Deal: "We're going to harmonise on this one. Kelly's been angry with me all day."
Kelly Deal: "I'm not angry.[pause] I'm just disappointed."

(Sorry I cannot show you pictures, though I'm sure they'll be all over Flickr tomorrow. I could feel my hand inching for my camera but I was 2 feet away from Kim Deal, directly in front of her, and felt somehow self-conscious, there is something sad about a 30 *cough* something woman with a little compact camera, holding it up like a teenager watching her first boy band. And it would have been minus 10 groovy points in front of all the black-framed-glasses wearing hipsters, I reckon.)

Kim Deal is my heroine. There she stands, in her black t-shirt and jeans, playing guitar, more sexy and womanly than a lorryload of Pussycat Dolls. It's great when your heroes don't disappoint you.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I heard about this at around 5.30 yesterday and nearly jumped in a taxi that instant.

But I'm lazy, if I'd known about it earlier I probably would have gone.

Was it good? I love Kim Deal.

bedshaped said...

Aah....Cannonball. Now that's a riff to be reckoned with.
I don't have a list of favourite intro's, but if I did, then I'm pretty damned sure Cannonball would be on it.

Annie said...

They were great Billy, but you needed a WRISTBAND collected in advance.

Bedshaped, right, it's simple, but effective.

Del said...

Amazing. Glad you went and they didn't disappoint. And 30 *cough* something with a camera is arguably somewhat more dignified than a 40 *cough* something with a guitar, but who's counting, eh?

I shall be spinning Cannonball at my next DJ night. Cos you gave it me, yay!

Bowleserised said...

Oh nostalgia! If I'd seen that video when i first started listening to Cannonball, I would have dressed just like them.

I like the fact that they seem to be taken the piss out of the whole music-video glamour thing. This is approx the same time that Kristin Hersh's record company rejected the video for Bright Yellow Gun because K didn't look "pretty enough". Meh.

Annie said...

I loved a Pixies video (I forget which one) when they just opened and closed their mouths like goldfish instead of pretending to sing.

Annie said...

It used to be hard to track down bands you liked before the internet hey? I remember staying up late in the hopes of catching that split second they'd be on a music programme... youth of today, don't know they're born...