Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Org********n

Further to my last post, I was thinking about how much I hate the word organized. Organisation is a skill privileged beyond all reason - is it the best thing you can possibly be, organized? Every job I've had, every boring numpty lowpaid admin type piece of shit job, has required it. Organized is what we'd call a low level skill. If your job demands it of you, they think of you as an Oompa Loompa, toiling in the salt-mines. It doesn't really ask much of you, just that you keep other people's lives running smoothly. So I'm not organized, so sue me. I'm not organized! For years I've been claiming I am it in job interviews, but now I declare myself free of the tyranny of the organized.

I'm a fucking ARTIST. (Unacknowledged, but nevertheless.) Did Picasso conquer the world because he kept his paintbrushes in a nice straight line? Did Mozart move people with his symphonies because he filed his music correctly? I don't belong in this verkakte, cockermamie job where I am asked to be ORGANISED. I need to be free to follow my wild, bohemian, artistic creative impulses, and make shitloads of money to piss about and have a nice time, like Damien Hirst. (Listening to him on Radio 4 was hilarious. He refused to say he felt bad about making obscene amounts of money, and why should he?)

13 comments:

Tim F said...

Nobody has ever adequately identified to me any clear blue water between "organised" and "obsessive-compulsive".

All my pens are the same way up in my pen jar. Please give me a job.

Yuh, right.

Anonymous said...

A friend once had to fill out a questionairre for a job as an office manager. It asked if she had experience organising and running a dairy.

She said her uncle had a farm so she knew a little but was more used to running a diary.

She didn't get the job.

Anonymous said...

Meh. Does this mean you don't like me anymore?

Del said...

Sounds like she was milking it a bit...

I can be organised when I really want to be. I just prefer living life on the edge and being late for everything.

bedshaped said...

Being organized is over-rated.

Annie said...

Tim, right, it's a thin line between efficient and neurotic basket-case.

ChangingMan, hah! The moral is, do not shame the interviewer if you want the job.

Sar, of course not, petal. There is nothing wrong with BEING organised - but you know I think that your talents are criminally wasted. Your wit, your charm, your intelligence, your sense of humour, your wicked style, your eye for detail, your brilliant people skills, your frankly quite terrifying powers of negotiation - and the most your job asks of you is to organise other people!

What is tragic is that this is what happens to most people in the jobs market,their potential is never exploited, only their time and energy, and I feel it because it's my job to inspire the best in kids - for what, so they can get a job in Macdonalds later? If the time when you are at your most creative and fulfilled and stimulated is at school, and not in your adult working life, there's something seriously wrong.

*And breathe*

Del - me too. Plus I really feel that by now I should have my own wageslave to fetch and carry for me...

Bedshaped - so true.

Lottie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lottie said...

I was organised once upon a time. It was great. Now I can barely find my bed under half tonne of clothes and to-do lists. can i claim to be an artist now too? :)

Stevious said...

Who needs to be organised anyway? Just put everything important on a computer and let google do the rest.

violet said...

People at work always tell me I'm really organised, and once I'd gotten over being rather shocked and a bit upset that they were telling me I was boring or something, I came to hold them in utter contempt. Reason? Basically, on further examination, they think of me as 'really organised' because I have a list of when my reports are due in court, whether I have interviewed the person and when I am going to do it if not, and whether I have written the thing. This is not the meticulous plotting of an obsessive-compulsive, this is simply me having the vaguest fucking clue what I'm doing tomorrow. 'Organisational skills' is one of those bollocks things that employers have to claim to want so rigid-thinking, uncreative, robotic and essentially stupid people with no other appreciable worth or talent can get jobs and don't sue for discrimination or something. If they could work out how to phone their solicitors.

aaaaaand inhale. Not that I want to throttle most of my colleagues or anything.

Annie said...

Lottie - clearly!

Stevious - I find it hard to remember what we did before Google.

Violet - right, it should be a minor part of work, not the be-all and end-all.

Anonymous said...

perhaps you'd feel better about it if you spelled it with the American z? Just a thought.

Annie said...

Hmmm, organized... The z is still not doing it for me, Tara.