Tuesday, September 09, 2008

My nemesis

Was reading Simon Gray's The Year of the Jouncer, and this passage got me thinking.

They say that everyone in the world has a doppelgänger - if so, isn't it equally possible that everyone in the world has an exact opposite, that to meet up with him or her would result in a double death, as a single death is said to be the result when doppelgängers meet?

Mine:

Blonde. Slim. Sporty. Brilliant at maths. Efficient. Organized. Calm. Successful. Rich. Extrovert. Confident. Optimistic. Contented.

God, I absolutely hate her, and she's fictional.

Anyway, how about you?

10 comments:

Rosie said...

i've met mine. it was awful.

Lottie said...

Me too. I was sure one of us was going to melt.

Anonymous said...

I've not met my opposite, but I have met the female version of myself. That was scary.

Del said...

Heheh, I'm pretty sure he's one of my best mates. We are almost total opposites. We did one of those personality test things while we were at university, and got about 5% compatibility. We were flatmates for 2 years, copresented student radio shows for longer than that. I was his best man at his wedding and am his son's godfather.

Dark. Sporty. An engineer in the military. Efficient. Organised. Married with children.

But we have a natural chemistry. I'm certainly envious of certain aspects of his life, and I've no doubt he's occasionally envious of me too. But opposites compliment each other, we make an excellent team and I wouldn't change him for the world.

Tim F said...

I am everything Sarah Palin is not.

Annie said...

Rosie, ahh... did you write a post? I'd be very interested to hear about it.

Lottie, you too. How intriguing!

Billy - very very interesting. How so?

Del, that's a heart-warming story.

Tim, I don't get Sarah Palin, where did they dig her up from all of a sudden?

Anonymous said...

Within five minutes of meeting, I had a conversation with her about Clive Dunn. Now that's scary.

Rosie said...

i didn't, Annie. the less said, the better.

Rad said...

If I ever met my opposite I'd be insanely jealous of his athletic frame, his prodigious intake of cigarettes (a habit he only picked up 5 years ago) his status as a tee-totaller and his fabulous job which he loves to bits coupled with his sizeable bank balance.

Then I'd point and laugh at his teeny tiny winkle! :D

Annie said...

Rad, he would swap places with you in a nanosecond ;-)